Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Chicken Satay & Family Time

Last night, my mom & dad came over to join us for dinner. They are used to my "weird" ways & were excited for home-cooked food. (They don't cook.)

On the menu was Chicken Satay & Cauli-Rice with peanut sauce and a coconut curry sauce. I also whipped up some Bacon Chocolate Brownies as a surprise! 


Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce- served four adults & one 7 year old

For the chicken:
2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken (I used breast cutlets)
2 T coconut sugar
5 T coconut aminos
4 tsp ground ginger
2 garlic cloves minced

For the sauce:
1 T coconut sugar
1 1/2 T coconut aminos
1 T lime juice
2 T almond butter or peanut butter
1 tsp garlic powder
Unsweetened coconut milk to thin

For the cauli-rice:
1 small head of cauliflower
1/2 cup veggie broth
1 tsp turmeric
1 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 375, use a grill pan or a grill. Cut the chicken into 1" strips. Mix the marinade ingredients together until the sugar dissolves & let chicken marinate for at least ten minutes. Thread chicken onto {soaked} skewers. If using oven, use a raised pan method of choice. I use a cookie cooling pan stacked on top of a baking sheet. (Genius) Bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. If grilling, grill for 5 minutes on each side.

While the chicken is cooking, mix together the sauce ingredients. It makes a thick paste of a sauce. Put it in a small saucepan over medium heat & add coconut milk to thin it out. I used a quarter cup. Depending on how you like your sauce, keep adding until it's perfect!

For the rice, use a food processor to turn the head of cauliflower into rice size pieces. Heat the olive oil in a skillet & then add your "rice". Add the veggie broth & turmeric and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve chicken over cauli-rice.


For the coconut curry sauce {This was requested by my mom}, we used this recipe--Coconut Curry Sauce. If you do not like spicy food or are a spice weenie--use less red pepper flakes. This stuff was really spicy, but so good.

And of course for the Bacon Chocolate Chip Brownies, I used one of my favorite cookbooks, The Paleo Kitchen. You won't be disappointed!

I find it funny that I love to cook so much & my mom would much rather do the dishes. It's nice having her over, because I generally stack up a TON of dishes! I love being able to cook healthy meals for my family. Especially the members that would rather eat standard American food like mac & cheese.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment